Para Clinical Microbiology
Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms causing disease in human beings. Ever since Stanley medical college was renamed in the year 1934.Microbiology has been taught to the second year MBBS students. Since 1938 the department has shown enormous development.
The MD Microbiology course was started in the year 1981 with two MD seats which was initially affliated to Madras university and later on affliated to TN DR MGR Medical University in 1989.One additional seat was increased in the year March 2000 and all the seats are recognized by MCI.
In 1986 ,Department of Immunology was started as a specialization in Stanley medical college .
The MD.MICROBIOLOGY was started in the year 1981 with two MD seats and an increase of additional one seat in the year march 2000.All the seats were recognized by MCI . Numerous specimens were received from various departments. The department has been furnished with all the latest equipments for immunofluorescence ,HLA typing(live and cadaver organ donors),polymerase chain reaction.
Our department is recognized as State referral laboratory for HIV and STI infections. Periodic workshops, training programs and sentinel surveillance are conducted for Medical officers and Lab technicians. External assurance scheme workshop and participation is conducted quarterly and half yearly. The department also has all the latest facilities for post graduate teaching including adequate number of teaching faculty. Many CME programs and workshops have been organized by the department for inculcation of knowledge to PG students.
The Department of Microbiology headed by Prof.Dr.V.Dillirani has a competent team of one professers,four associate professers, five assistant professers,six tutors, seven technicians and nine MD postgraduates. Thework profile of the faculty include various activities like diagnostic and research activities, conducting theory and practical classes for MBBS students, MD Postgraduates, DMLT students and students of other paramedical courses. The department has 7 service laboratories.
DIAGNOSTIC AND RESEARCH FACILITIES:
The department of microbiology has 7 service laboratories namely bacteriology,mycology,virology,
immunology,serology,parasitology and mycobacteriology.
The central lab of microbiology department is located in the first floor of OP block in Stanley Medical college hospital where samples are received.It is provided with automated blood culture system. Processing of urine samples and rapid investigations are performed here. We receive about 8000-10000 microbiological specimen per month and about 5000 serology specimens per month.
Bacteriological laboratory is a state of the art lab fully equipped with latest equipments of advanced technology including Bio-Safety cabinets for safe working of the faculty.Here aerobic and anaerobic culture methods are done for identification and antibiotic sensitivity testing of the isolates are performed routinely. This department is also recognized as state referral laboratory for STI/RTI infections as per NACO (National AIDS Control organization).
Our virology lab runs special investigations like RT PCR,ELISA and immunochromatographic tests for detection of viral infections (like HIV,Dengue,Hepatitis B and C) and is a State Referral Laboratory for HIV as per NACO guidelines.
The Mycobacteriology lab is provided with fluorescent microscope for identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis besides the conventional staining techniques.TB culture is being done conventionally and also by MICRO MGIT-an advanced equipment for detection of drug resistant TB strains.
In Mycology lab, besides the conventional techniques for culture and identification of fungal isolates from various clinical is being done.
The Parasitology lab caters the stool examination for ova/cyst by concentration methods and wet mount examination and modified AFB staining for coccidian parasites.
Screening of blood samples for infectious diseases is done in serology lab.
Immunlogy has been developed into a specialized department in 1986.It is equipped with facilities for ANA testing ,HLA typing and cross matching for transplant patients. tumor.Screening of tumor markers for cancer patients (CEA,AFP and Prostate specific antigen )is also done.
|1.||PROFESSER AND HOD||DR.V.DILLIRANI,M.D|
|ASSOCIATE PROFESSER||DR.J.PAVITHRA DEVI,M.D|
|10.||ASSISTANT PROFESSER||DR.KALPANA RAJ,M.D|
3. SERVICES OFFERED
|Name of the Course Offered||Eligibility||Course Duration||Sanctioned No.of Seats||Date of Starting Course||Affiliated University||Selection on Procedure||MCI recognized or Not|
|MBBS||XII STD||4 1/2 Years||250||TN.Dr.MGR Medical University||Counselling||MCI Recognized|
|MD||MBBS||3 Years||3||1981||TN.Dr.MGR Medical University||Counselling||MCI Recognized|
(PERIODIC ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES HELD IN THE DEPARTMENT)
|POST GRADUATE||UNDER GRADUATE|
|1||Monday||Review||Practicals / Tutorials|
|2||Tuesday||Practicals||Practicals / Tutorials|
|3||Wednesday||Journal Club||Practicals / Tutorials|
|4||Thursday||Discussion||Theory / Seminar|
|5||Friday||Discussion||Theory / Seminar|
|6||Saturday||Seminar||Theory / Seminar|
GENERAL BACTERIOLOGY & IMMUNOLOGY
4.TYPES OF MICROSCOPES
6.CLUSTER DESIGNATION OF NOMENCLATURE
7.CD AG EXPRESSION OF HAEMOPOIETIC CELLS
5.OPPURTUNISTIC INTESTINAL PARASITES
L.AMOEBIC ULCERATIVE LESION
R.MITRAL VALVE ENDOCARDITIS
A.GPC IN CLUSTERS
B.GPC IN PAIRS AND SHORT CHAINS
C.GRAM NEGATIVE BACILLI
D.CLOSTRIDIUM TETANI SPORES
E.NEISSERIA GONORRHEA IN DIRECT GRAM STAIN
F.ACID FAST BACILLI
G.BUDDING YEAST CELLS
B.ENTEROBIUS MALE & FEMALE
5.LABORATORY SERVICES OFFERED
6) PUBLICATIONS :
- Comparison of various genotypic method and Mec A based PCR for the detection of MRSA.(Pramodhini,S.Thenmozhi PR,Selvi,V.Dillirani,Vasumathi A,Agatha D)
- A Study of incidence of Rotavirus in children under 5 years of age with acute diarrhea with special characterization of Rotavirus .(Subha.K,Selvi.R,AVM.Balaji ,Dheepa D)
- Invasive lung infection by Scedosporiumapiospermum in an immunocompromised individual.(Agatha D.Usha Krishnan, Vedachalam Dillirani,Rangam selvi)
- A Study on prevalence of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus(MRSA) isolates from various clinical samples in patients with lower respiratory tract infections in tertiary care hospital.(Vijayalakshmi Arumugam,Dillirani Vedachalam,Malathi Murugesan)
- A Study on bacteriological profile and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of sputum samples in patients with lower respiratory tract infections in tertiary care hospital.(Nithya Chinnasamy,Dillirani Vedachalam,Malathi Murugesan)
- A Study on antimicrobial resistance patterns on the Enterococcus species isolated in a tertiary care hospital in South India.(V.Dillirani and R.Suresh)
- Characterisation and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of non-fermenting gram negative bacilli from various clinical samples in a tertiary care hospital.(Gomathi Maniyan,Dillirani Vedachalam and Nithya Chinnasamy)
- Detection of oxacillinase and metallobetalactamase in Carbapenam resistant isolates of Actinobacter spp. From various clinical samples by phenotypic and genotypic methods in a tertiary care hospital. (Gomathi Maniyan,Dillirani Vedachalam and Nithya Chinnasamy)
- A Study on Prevalence and Antimicrobial Resistance Pattern of Urinary Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Tertiary Care Centre in South India ( V. Dillirani and R. Suresh)
- Speciation ,Biofilm production and antibiotic resistance pattern of CoNS isolated from Neonatal Septicemia .( Dr.Subitha)
- Detection of ESBL and Amp C beta lactamase resistance in Gram negative isolates of Ventilator associated pneumonia. .( Dr.Subitha)
- Rare cause of sepsis Chromobacterium violaceum – A Case report.( Dr.Subitha)
- Prevalence and detection of ampC Beta lactamase resistance in gram negative uropathogens.( Dr.Subitha)
- Plasmid mediated amp C beta lactamase producing gram negative isolates in neonatal septicemia. .( Dr.Subitha)
- Bacteriological profile and C Reactive Protein level of neonatal septicemia.( Dr.Subitha)
- Evaluation of ESBL in gram negative uropathogens.( Dr.Subitha)
- Mycological Profile of Bronchial Wash Specimens in Patients with Lower Respiratory Tract Infections (C.S. Sripriya*, S. Thasneem Banu, R. Deepa and N. Ratnapriya)
- Bacteriological profile and antibiotic resistance patterns of Podiatric infections in Diabetic patients - A Prospective study Dr.Sripriya.C.S*., Arockia Doss. S. Dr.Shanthi.B, Dr.Vijayapriya., Durai murugan
- Scrub Typhus (Orientia tsutsugamushi), A rapidly spreading epidemic in Chennai - A standalone lab experience Sripriya C.S.*, Shanthi B., Arockia Doss S., Antonie Raj I., Mohanapriya
- A Study on Serological Prevalence and Clinical Correlation of Dengue in A Tertiary Care Hospital (C.S. Sripriya*, S. Thasneem Banu, P.Balapriya, S Geetha Lakshmi )
- Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of Escherichia coli from patients with Urinary tract infections in tertiary care hospital.(B.Shanthi,R.Selvi,A.Madhumathy)
- Microbial profile and their susceptibility pattern in ventilator associated pneumonia in a tertiary care hospital ( (B.Shanthi, R.Selvi, V.Sheeba, P.Ponnammal)
- A Study on the current trend in susceptibility pattern of uropathogens to nitrofurantoin in a tertiary care hospital–Dr.Ponnammal
- A Study on prevalence of superficial mycoses in diabetic patients in tertiary care hospital- Dr.Ponnammal
7)On going research publications:
A Study on Microbiological profile of Ventilator associated pneumonia - ICMR
1.A Study on prevalence of Staphyloccus aureus osteomyelitis, AST with special reference to its virulence ,PVL gene.
2. Etiological profile and anti-microbial susceptibility of Infectious Keratitis causing agents in a Tertiary care centre.
3. A Cross sectional study on Maternal and Congenital Toxoplasma gondii infections among patients attending tertiary care centre.
4. A Study on Colistin susceptibility by Phenotypic and Genotypic methods among Carbapenamase producing enterobactericeae in a tertiary care centre.
5. A Study on the distribution pattern of genotypes of Hepatitis C and its association with viral load in chronic liver disease in tertiary care centre.
1. A Study on Isolation and speciation of Candida isolated from various clinical samples and its anti anti-fungal susceptibility pattern.
2.A Comparative study of the laboratory diagnostic methods for detection of ova of various intestinal helminthes in a tertiary care centre.
1.Prevalence Of HPV Infection In Women Attending Gyeneacology Op – Dr. Rajeswari
2.Bacteriological Profile Of Chronis Sinusitis ---Dr. Priya
3 .Bacterial Isolates From Ascitic Fluid Of Decompensated Liver Disease Patient--- Dr.Nivedhana
4.Biofilm Formation & Antibiotic Resistance Pattern Among Bacterial Isolates Causing
Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infection.—Dr. Nivedhana.
5. Comparative Study OfGiemsa Staining And PCR In Diagnosing Falciparum Malaria- ---Dr.V.Priya.
6. Study Of Parasitic Infections In Patients With Gastrointestinal Malignancies-----Dr.R.Rajeswari.
7 .Prevalance Of Gonococcal Infection In The Pharynx And Rectum Of The High Risk Population Attending TheStd Op Of A Tertiary Care Hospital-Dr.S.Arulselvan
8.Comparision Of Isolation Of Mycobacterial Tuberculosis From The Conventional Lj Medium With Liquid Medium And Line Probe Assay Methods In Sputum Smear Negative Patients Attending The Tb & Chest Medicine Op In A Tertiary Care Hospital------Dr.K.K.Kayalvili
9.Prevalance Of Hepatitis E Infection In Antenatal Mothers Attending The Obstetric Op In A Tertiary Care Hospital-----Dr.E.Nivedhitha
10.Isolation And Study About The Pattern Of Aerobic And Anaerobic Bacteriological Organisms From The Complicated And Uncomplicated Appendicitis- Dr. S.Arulselvan
11.Prevalance Of Chikungunya Infection In Op Patients Attending Fever Clinic In A Tertiary Care Hospital- Dr.K.K.Kayalvili
12.Isolation Of Organisms From The Dress And Overcoat Of The Healthcare Personals In
The Tertiary Care Hospital- Dr.E.Nivedhitha
13.A Study On The Prevalence Of Human Papilloma Virus Infections In High Risk Groups In A Tertiary Care Hospital.
14. Comparison Between Rapid Card Test And Elisa In Detecting H.Pylori Antibody In Cva Patients.-Dr. Kalpanaraj
15.Comparison Of 16srrna Pcr With Blood Culture In Neonatal Sepsis.-Dr.Sumana
16.Prevalence Of Lower Respiratory Tract Infections In Post Renal Transplant Patients With Special References To Opporunistic Infections.-Dr. Elakiya.
17. A Study On Bacteriological Profile CRBSI Among Hemolysis Patients With Special Reference To Biofilm Production.- Dr. MENAKA
18. Detection And Serotyping Of Dengue Virus. Dr. Sudha
19. A Clinic Investigative Study On Mycological Profile Of Sub Cutaneous Mycosis In A Tertiary Care Centre. Dr. Arunraj
20. Detection OfMupirocin Resistance Among The Clinical Isolates Of MRSA In A Tertiary Care Centre. Dr. Arunraj
21. A Study On Anti Microbial Resistance Pattern Of Extra Intestinal E.Coli In Clinical Samples. Dr. Sudha
22. A Comparative Study Of Bacteriological Culture From Sterile Body Fluids By Physical Agitation Methods And Conventional Culture Method. Dr. MENAKA
9)PRIZE AND AWARDS WON:
1.Bacteriology Of Abcesses With Special Reference To Phenotyping& Genotyping Of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus In Tertiary Care Hospital
- K.Subha,Cme On Stem Cells,
Kaniyakumari Medical College
2.1st Prize In Quiz Conducted In First Annual Meet Of Tropical Parasitology Chapter, Mmc. -Dr.Gowri
3. 1st Prize And Gold Medal-Comparison Of Amsel&Nugents Criteria In Bacterial Vaginosis& Isolation Of GardenellaVaginalis From Women Attending STI Clinic In Tertiary Car -Dr. Balaji,Asticon,2010,Vijayawada, Guided By Prof.Dr.R.Selvi M.D.,
4. 1st Prize In Quiz In Cme On Antimicrobial Resistance At Microcon,Kolkata-Dr. Balaji
5.Gold Medal In DrMgr Medical University Examinations 2012 In Md Microbiology -Dr.Deepa, Convocation Xxiv, 2012
6. Gold Medal For Paper Presenatation InAsticon Conference Dec 2012 For Clinico –Investigative Profile Of Cervicovaginal Discharge In High Risk Women Attending STD Clinic In A Territory Care Hospital –Dr.Swapna
7.Cash Prize For Antimicrobial Quiz Conducted At Sri Ramachandra Medical College And Hospital – Dr. A. Arunkumar And T.FahadAffan
11)CME AND WORKSHOPS:
|1.Hep B -5.7.2016||Workshop on STI and HIV -20.6.2014|
|2.HepC-30.7.2016||Workshop on Hep C and training in infection control practices –
April 6,7,12,13 2016
|3. CME on HAND HYGIENE on 18.05.2019||Workshop on Hand Hygiene|
|4. CME on Diptheria on 08.08.2019|
12)CME/CONFERENCE/WORKSHOPS ATTENDED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
1) Trends in hand hygiene workshop –CME in Stanley medical college and hospital –attended by all postgraduates and faculties.
2) Apollo infectious diseases conference -ITC Grand Chola ,chennai- Dr.Abinaya and Dr.T.Fahad Affan
3) CME on trends of Diphtheria and its management –Stanley medical college and hospital –attended by all postgraduates and faculties.
4) Mycology workshop-Basics/molecular methods-SRMC Chennai-Dr.Abinaya & Dr.T.Fahad Affan
5)Microbiological annual revision course -2019 -SRMC Chennai-Dr.Abinaya and Dr.T.Fahad Affan
6)CME on Infectious diseases –Madurai medical college- Dr.K.Hema and Dr.A.Abirami
7)CHET VIROCON- Chettinad medical college-Dr.Priya and Dr.B.Shanthi
8) CME on ANA-Immunofluorescence-SRMC Chennai-Dr.V.Rengashini
9)Viral hepatitis –Time To Test,Treat and Prevent-Rajiv Gandhi government hospital,chennai-DR.V.Rengashini
13)ANY WORK OR EXCELLENCE /AWARDS RECEIVED BY FACULTIES(ACADEMIC OR NON-ACADEMIC):
Best performance award at Stanley Medical College,2018- Dr.A.MADHUMATHI
Best performance award at Stanley Medical College,2019- Dr.P.PONNAMMAL