DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY MEDICINE
Department Phone no. : 044-25284038
1. HISTORY :
The Department of Community Medicine is full-fledged and has the following faculties : Professor & Head, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Tutors, Entomologist and other non-teaching staffs.
2. FACULTIES : (Name, Mail ID)
|PROFESSOR & HEAD|
|Dr. P. Seenivasan|
|Dr. S.Latha Maheshwari|
|Dr. R.Yamuna Devi|
|Dr. S. Krithiga|
|Dr. A.Evangeline Mary (UHTC)|
|Dr. R.Tamilarasi (RHTC)|
First year :(2019)
Second year (2018)
- Dr. Hemamalini.B
- Dr.Santha Sheela Kumari.K
Final year : (2017)
- Dr..Narmatha Devi .B
- Dr. Ramya.S
- Dr. Sharmila.P.V
- Dr. Sivaranjani.S
3. SERVICES OFFERED :
Under-graduate and post-graduate teaching and training.
Services attached to the Department :
- Urban Health Training Centre – Field visit and Surveys
- Rural Health Training Centre – Field Visit and Surveys
- Master Health Check-up
- Fever Clinic
- Camps- Special clinics and Seasonal outbreak camps
- Exhibition Duty
- Health Education Services
- Alamadhi Rural Medical Services
a. ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES :
Type of the course :MEDICAL
|Name of the courses offered||M.D. (Community Medicine)||M.B.B.S||M.phil|
|1.||Eligibility||M.B.B.S degree from any Indian university recognised by MCI||The candidate must have individually passed Physics, Chemistry & Biology; attended and fulfilled the eligibility criteria of NEET UG exam.||MSW -specialized in medical and psychiatric social work (preferred);
Specialization of integrated social work, family& child welfare and human resource management (considered).
|2.||Course duration||3 years||4 1/2 academic years and 1 year of compulsory internship||2 years|
|3.||Sanctioned no. of seats||5 per year||250 per year||15 per year|
|4.||Date of starting course||2016 May||1938||2011|
|5.||Affiliated university||The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai|
|6.||Selection procedure||NEET –PG examination and counselling held in All India and Tamil Nadu based on NEET-PG score.||NEET – UG examination and counselling held in All India and Tamil Nadu based on NEET-UG score.||Selection committee|
|Recognised||Recognised||The TN Dr.MGR University recognised|
b. ACADEMIC CURRICULUM:
1) Classes for the Undergraduates
- 1st year MBBS :Theory class and Field Visits
- 2nd year MBBS :Theory class, Family Survey, Block posting, Field Visits
- 3rd year MBBS :Theory class,Family Survey, Block Posting, Field Visits,
Group Discussion, Seminars.
- CRRIs : Rural & Urban Posting, Monitoring ,Weekly Review
2) Classes for the DMLT students – Theory, Demonstration
3) Classes for the Postgraduates – Theory, Seminars, Field Visits, Journal Club,
Case presentation, Family study, Dissertation review
4) Classes for M.Phil students – Theory, Seminars, Field visits, Dissertation
- PHCs attached to the department : Naravarikuppam, Minjur, Vilankattupakkam
- UHTC attached to the department : Sanjeevarayanpet
Periodic academic activities held in the department
|1.||Monday||Third year class / Monthly Internal Assessment||Problem solving/ Skills learning / Group Discussions|
|2.||Tuesday||Second year class||Seminar / Symposiums|
|3.||Wednesday||Third year class||Dissertation Review / Lecture|
|4.||Thursday||First year class||Journal club|
|5.||Friday||CRRI review||CRRI review / Dissertation review|
|6.||Saturay||Third year class||Case Presentation / Family study / Monthly Internal Assessment|
Block postings for second and third year students on all working days, in rotation, in batches.
Regular postings for post-graduates to RHTC, UHTC and other departments in rotation.
4. DEPARTMENT MUSEUM :
- No. of museum models : 106
- No. of museum specimens : 66
- Total no. of Charts : 240
We have a well furnished and equipped research laboratory to facilitate under-graduate and post-graduate training and research. (photos attached).
6. RESEARCH AND PUBLICATION :
- P.Seenivasan , M.Vijayalakshmi , K. Caroline Priya , SaravanakumarP. Prevalence Of Dental Caries Among Adults In Rural Area Of Tamil Nadu, Rural Medicine-Indian Journal Of Rural Health Care ISSN 2319-1147, Volume - II, Issue – I, Oct - Dec 2013, Page 37 www.ijrhc.org
- Seenivasan P, Caroline Priya K, Vijayalakshmi M, Saravanakumar P , Jegatheesh SK, Anti Rabies Vaccination Coverage Among Patients Attending Outpatient Department In A Tertiary Care Hospital In Tamil Nadu, International Journal Of Medical And Applied Sciences EâISSN:2320â3137, Volume 3, Issue 1, 2014 page253 www.earthjournals.org
- Seenivasan P, Caroline Priya Kumar, A Comparison Of Mental Health Of Urban Indian Adolescents Among Working And Non Working Mothers, Annals Of Community Health, ISSN 2347-5455, e ISSN 2347-5714, VOL 2, ISSUE 2, APR - JUNE 2014 , Page: 39
- Seenivasan P, Sujatha Shritharan, Caroline Priya K, Saurav Das, Srinivasan R, Satya SidharthaParija and Gurlivleen Singh Grewal, Medical Decision Support Technology for Better Antenatal Care of the Mother, Under-Five Child Survival and Child Health in Rural India, Family Medicine & Medical Science Research, ISSN: 2327-4972 FMMSR, Volume 3 • Issue 3 • 1000136, 5 Sept 2014.
- R. Naveen, V. Santosh Kumar, H.Praveen, C.Rajeswari, Caroline Priya K, P Seenivasan, Knowledge Attitude and Practices of Organ Donation Among College Students in Chennai, Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Volume 1 Issue 1, page 12, July - Sept 2014.
- Anjana Vaidyanathan , K. Caroline Priya , P. Seenivasan , G. Malini , T. Kaarthika , Deepa Nathan , M. Aarthi, A Comparative Study On The Contraceptive Methods Preferred In Rural And Urban Areas In Tamil Nadu, Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Vol 1 | Issue 2 | October - December | 2014.
- Caroline Priya K., Seenivasan P, Praveen H, Amala Grace M, Annapoorani V, Shruthi Dhevi R S, A Study On Nutritional Status Of School Children In Rural, Semi Urban And Urban Areas Of Tamil Nadu, Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Vol 2 | Issue 1 | January - March | 2015
- M. Vijayalakshmi, P. Seenivasan, Kumar Caroline Priya, P.Saravanakumar, Factors Influencing Prevalence Of Anemia Among Rural Adolescent Girls Of Tamilnadu, Rural Medicine-Indian Journal Of Rural Health Care, ISSN 2319-1147, Volume - III, Issue – I, Sept - Dec 2014, Page 10. www.ijrhc.org
- Gowtham Kishore A, P. Seenivasan, M. Edwin Fernando, A Comparative Study On Glomerular Filtration Rate Estimated From Serum Creatinine Between Cockcroft-Gault And Ckd-Epi Equations In The General Population, Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Vol 1 | Issue 2 | October - December | 2014.
- Caroline Priya Kumar, Seenivasan P Tribals’ Education and Health-The Magic Link Journal of School Social Work, ISSN 0976-3759 Volume 10 Issue 3, pg 9-13, Aug 2013.
- Seenivasan P, Vijayalakshmi, M. Anxiety and Depression among School Children Facing Board Exams, Journal of School Social Work, ISSN 0976-3759 Volume 10 Issue 11, pg 21-27, April 2014
- P. Seenivasan, K. Caroline Priya, Arthi .E, Gaviya.G, Kanchana Devi.B, Karunya.C, Midhuna.G, Priyadharshini.R, Priyadharshini.S A Cross Sectional Study On Awareness About Menstrual Hygiene Among Rural Women, Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Vol 2 | Issue 2 | April - June | 2014.
- P. Seenivasan, K. Caroline Priya, Rajeshwari C, Akshaya CC, Sabharritha G, Sowmya KR, Banu S. Knowledge, attitude and practices related to Menstruation among adolescent girls in Chennai- Journal of Clinical and Scientific Research vol:5 No.3 July-September 2016
- P. Seenivasan, R Tamilarasi, C. Gokul Raman, S. Boopathi Raja, R. Kishore, GB Harrison Gabriel. Study on awareness of Basic Life Support among medical students in Chennai. Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Vol 3 | Issue 1 | January - March | 2016.
- Balaji Krishnaiah, Seenivasan P. Alwar, Lakshmi.N.Ranganathan. Knowledge Attitude and Practices of people toward epilepsy in a South Indian Village. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice, Vol 7 | Issue 3 | July - September | 2016.
- Evangeline Mary A, Seenivasan P, Shibiyeswanth RI, Prakash V, Solaimuthurajagopal S, Valaiyapathy NC. A study to assess the prevalence of behavioural risk factors for lifestyle diseases among late adolescents in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health, pISSN 2394-6032, Vol 4 | Issue 4 | April 2017.
- P. Seenivasan, A. Evangeline Mary, K. Caroline Priya, Ezhil Devi, S Nanthini, Nuzrath Jahan SA, Samyuktha D. A cross sectional study on the health status of school children in North Chennai. Stanley Medical Journal, ISSN 2394-3637, Vol 3 | Issue 2 | April - June | 2016.
- Susila T, Anavarathan S, Jenifer A, Kamalipriya S, SwarnaPriya M, Gayathri G. A cross sectional study on electronic device addiction among youth in an urban area, Chennai. Stanley Medical Journal. 2017 May 13;4(1):2-7.
- Seenivasan P, Mary AE, Priya KC. A cross sectional study on the health hygiene status of school children in north Chennai. Stanley Medical Journal. 2016 Jul 22;3(2):08-14.
- Seenivasan P, Shibiyeswanth RI, Prakash V, Solaimuthurajagopal S, Valaiyapathy NC. A study to assess the prevalence of behavioral risk factors for lifestyle diseases among late adolescents in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. International Journal Of Community Medicine And Public Health. 2017 Mar 28;4(4):1260-6.
- Evangeline Mary A, Anavarathan S. A Study On Knowledge And Practice Of Breast Self Examination Among Women Between 30 To 60 Years Attending A Tertiary Care Hospital In Chennai. Stanley Medical Journal.;4(1):14-9.
- Seenivasan P, Tamilarasi R, Raman CG, Raja SB, Kishore R, HarrisonGabriel GB. Study On Awareness Of Basic Life Support Among Medical Students In Chennai. Stanley Medical Journal. 2016 May 10;3(1):2-7.
- Tamilarasi R, Maheshwari L, Siddharth R. A study of awareness on cervical cancer and prevalence of pathological leucorrhoea among women in rural Chennai. International Journal Of Community Medicine And Public Health. 2018 Apr 24;5(5):2118-22.
7. On-Going Research
|1.||P.V. SHARMILA||Awareness of Hypoglycaemia and Complications of Diabetes among Patients with Type II DM-A Community Based Cross sectional study|
|2.||B.NARMATHA DEVI||Body image perception among college students and the factors affecting it in Tirupur District|
|3.||S. RAMYA||Prevalence of anaemia and its determinants among the post-natal tribal mothers in Salem District, Tamil Nadu|
|4.||S.SIVARANJANI||A cross sectional study to determine the prevalence and risk factors of low bone mineral density among men aged above 40 years in a rural area.|
|5.||SHRUTHEE.S.G||Pre-menstrual syndrome – prevalence, associated risk factors and its socio economic impact – A cross sectional study in Chennai|
|6.||DEEPANCHAKRAVARTHI.V||Social Support and glycaemic control among type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in a Tertiary Care in Chennai.|
|7.||SANTHA SHEELA KUMARI.K||A Cross sectional study on Dengue Preparedness among people residing in Urban Slum in Field practice area of North Chennai|
|1.||M.JANAKIRAM||Prevalence of Domestic Violence and its determinants among married women in rural area of Tamilnadu(2016)|
|2.||C.JAYAPRIYA||Prevalence and Factors affecting the utilization of health insurance among households in Tamilnadu(2016)|
|3.||S.RAJESH KANNA||Home-based New-born care practices among tribal population in Nilakottai area of Nilgiri District(2016)|
|4.||K.SARAVANAN||Prevalence of Osteoarthritis Knee in rural area among Elderly population(2016)|
|5.||M.SEETHAKUMARI||A Cross sectional study on prevalence of respiratory problems among agricultural workers in cuddalore district(2016)|
|6.||P.V. SHARMILA||A cross sectional study on comparison of self care practices among type 2 diabetes mellitus patient in rural and urban areas of Salem(2017)|
|7.||B.NARMATHA DEVI||Life style factors and its determinants and their impact on Quality of life among geriatric population in Tiruppur District.(2017)|
|8.||S. RAMYA||A cross sectional study on Menstrual practices among Adolescent girls in Tribal population in Tamil Nadu(2017)|
|9.||S.SIVARANJANI||Quasi Experimental study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on oral hygiene among middle school going children in a rural area.(2017)|
|10.||SHRUTHEE.S.G||A Community based introspection into reproductive healthcare among women in Kancheepuram District,Tamilnadu(2017)|
|11.||SANKAR .K||Utilization of integrated child development services by mothers of children under the age of 6 years in urban setting ,Tamil Nadu – A mixed method approach(2018)|
|12.||SANTHA SHEELA KUMARI.K||A Community based interventional study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching program on Breast carcinoma awareness and self breast examination practice among self help group women of reproductive age group in rural Chennai.(2018)|
|13.||ABISHEK. J||A case control study to determine the risk factors contributing to sleep deprivation among Young adults aged between 19-25 years in Urban Chennai.(2018)|
|14.||DEEPANCHAKRAVARTHI.V||Effectiveness of structured teaching program in promotion of sanitation and hygiene among mothers of under five children- A community based interventional study.(2018)|
|15.||HEMAMALINI.B||A Quasi experimental study to assess the effect of structured nutrition education program on the dietary practices of middle school children of private schools of private schools of Urban Chennai. .(2018)|
PRIZES AND AWARD CONSTITUTED BY THE DEPARTMENT
9. PRIZES AND AWARDS WON :
- Third prize in Community medicine Quiz in IAPSM - KOVICON, held at PSG Medical College, Coimbatore, on 7th Sep 2019 - Dr.Shruthee.S.G, Dr..Narmatha Devi .B.
- Second prize in poster presentation at IAPSM Sangamam TN Conference in Aug 2018– Dr. C.Jayapriya
10. MEDALS AND AWARDS
- Govinda Bhatt Memorial prize for proficiency in Community Medicine
- Govt. Prize for nutrition (elocution)
- Govt. Prize for nutrition (essay writing)
- Yearly MCQ test
- Prizes for research paper presentation
11. CME/ Workshops / Conference conducted by the department :
|2.||17th – 19th March 2018||Research made easy|
|3.||06.07.2018||CME on Leptospirosis- challenges and issues in management and control|
|5.||01.08.2018 to 07.08.2018||World Breast Feeding week celebration|
|6.||28th – 29th Sep 2018||Public health sociology – new directions
(PG refresher course)
|7.||05th -06th Oct 2018||Research Methodology|
|8.||08.10.2018||CME on Invasive pneumococcal disease – a newer perspective|
|9.||29th – 30th March 2019||Research made easy|
|11.||17th-19th Oct 2019||COMED_Q : Academic fiesta on Community Medicine|
12. CME/ Workshops / Conference attended by the department :
|S. No||Date||CME/Workshop/Conference||Topic & Venue|
|1.||5 – 6 Aug 2017||CME||National Symposium on Clinical Research Methodology at Dharan Hospital, Salem|
|2.||13-14, Oct 2017||CME||STANMED 2017 at Department of General Medicine, SMC|
|3.||14-16, Nov 2017||Workshop||Research Methodolgy & Biostatistics – How to do a good dissertation at Department of Epidemiology, The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University|
|4.||6 – 8, Dec 2017||Workshop||Geographical Information System (GIS) for Public Health Practitioners/ Research Investigators at NIE ICMR, Chennai|
|5.||12-14 Dec 2017||Workshop||Revised Basic Course Workshop in Medical Education Technologies|
|6.||22 Dec 2017||Conference||PHCON 2017 at JSS Medical College, Mysore|
|7.||23-24 Mar 2018||CME||CLOUD NINE – A PG Learning Programme at Department of Community Medicine, KMC & IAPSM, TN State Chapter|
|8.||17-21 Apr 2018||Workshop||Short Course on Fundamentals of Biostatistics , Principles of Epidemiology and SPSS at Department of Biostatistics,
Biostatistics Resource and Training Centre,
|9.||23-24 Apr 2018||Workshop||Short course on Sample Size Calculation at Department of Biostatistics,
Biostatistics Resource and Training Centre,
|10.||8 – 10 May 2018||Workshop||Workshop on Qualitative Research Methods and Analysis at SAMARTH & SCARF Foundation|
|11.||29 – 30 June 2018||Workshop||Workshop on Pedagogy at Department of Community Medicine, SRMC and IAPSM, TN Chapter|
|12.||6 Jul 2018||CME||CME on LEPTOSPIROSIS – Challenges and Issues in Management & Control at Department of Community Medicine, SMC|
|13.||July 17,18,19 2018||Workshop||Research Methodology at Dr TN MGR University|
|Conference||IAPSM-TN Chapter at Kanyakumari|
|15.||September 11,12 2018||Workshop||Diagnostic Screening test-Validity & reliability at ESI Medical college|
|16.||September 25 2018||CME||Dietary concepts and approach to principal nutrients – MMC Chennai|
|17.||28 – 29 Sep 2018||CME||Public Health Sociology at Dept. of Community Medicine, SMC|
|18.||October 1 2018||CME||Entomology – MMC Chennai|
|19.||8 Oct 2018||CME||Invasive Pneumococcal Disease at Dept. of Community Medicine, SMC|
|20.||November 30 2018||CME||Vaccine updates- Chengalpattu Medical College|
|21.||January 30 2019||CME||Suicide Prevention- Presidency College|
|22.||March 6-10 2019||Conference||IAPSM National Conference, Shimla|
|23.||April 11,12 2019||Workshop||Demystifying biostatistics, ESI medical college|
|24.||July 15-27 2019||Workshop||Basic Epidemiology & Research
|25.||17 – 21, July 2019||Workshop||Public Health Ethics at IIT Bombay|
|26.||August 7-9 2019||Workshop||CLTRI, Chengalpattu|
|27.||September 5-7 2019||Conference||IAPSM-TN Chapter ( KOVICON)
PSG medical college